Saturday, May 31, 2008

Road Trip

Record high gas prices, crushing debt, and delays in student loan dispersements. Some would say it's time to hunker down and weather the storm. We say it's time to take a ROAD TRIP. Remember, when you stop spending your money with mindless inhibition the terrorists have won.

Loralee was an awesome wife and for Christmas last year she got me a trip to N. Carolina for a weekend of white water adventure. We'll post about that later when we get our old school film camera developed. Her parents came into town and watched the girls for us while we made our trip so it was a nice time to get out on our own. Since most of you haven't had the pleasure of traveling out this way I'll give you the highlights of some of these Eastern United States.

As we drove out of Cleveland it was overcast and gray like it is 355 days of the year here. But strangely as we got outside of Cleveland the sun began to break through the clouds and the further away we drove the nicer the weather got. It seemed that even Mother Nature knew that leaving Cleveland was something to smile about.

Our roles on the trip soon became very clear. Loralee would spend her time reading, relaxing, and enjoying herself. Dave would drive.



Eventually I got bored and starting pointing out things it would be nice to get a picture of and try and get Loralee to snap a shot of them. But since we were traveling by these points of interest at 70+ mph our window of artistic opportunity was very narrow. The conversations would usually go something like this:

Dave: Ooh that's pretty. Take a picture of that.
Loralee: What? Where?
Dave: Right there. Hurry!
Loralee: What are you talking about? (She might be picking up the camera at this point or she might not even be looking up because she doesn't want to stop reading)
Dave: That right there! Hurry! We're going to miss it! Quick, just give me the camera. Great, we missed it.
Loralee: Why do you want a picture of that anyway?
Dave: Just give me the camera, you're no longer allowed camera privileges.

So for most of the drive I managed to take pictures with the camera strapped to the steering wheel with our gorilla pod (which by the way is one of the best purchases we've ever made). It worked pretty well but the quality of some of the pictures suffered due to my having to drive, aim the camera and try to avoid a fiery crash while taking the shot.


WEST VIRGINIA (pop: 152. With a cumulative 3rd grade education)

Our first new state was West Virginia. A very pretty state full of lush trees of a million different shades of green. The highway weaves in and out of the mountains and around each corner was a new surprise waiting to jump into view. Unfortunately these surprises were often in the form of billboards advertising various adult bookstores and smut peddlers.





An interesting fact about West Virginia is that they have more porn stores per capita then anywhere else in the country. It was always a shock to the system to be admiring all of God's creations, and then have a sign trying to lure me into their Adult Mega Mart at the next exit jump into view.

West Virginia was also scattered with a wonderful white wildflower along the freeway. I thought about stopping to pick one but then I figured getting run over by some trucker on his way to an Adult Convenience Shop probably wasn't worth the trouble. So instead I decided to just give them the name of Freeway Daisies. Whether they are in fact daisies I don't know and I'm sure they grow out side of freeway shoulders but since that's the only place I ever saw them I'm sticking with the name.



And to my delight every state we went through had their own version of the Freeway Daisies but just a different color. I don't know how the flowers knew that at the state line they weren't allowed to grow any further, but they seemed to stay in their borders like good little Freeway Daisies should.

VIRGINIA (The Idaho of the East)

We weren't in Virginia very long but we did have time to take note of their red freeway daisies and the lush farm country. It reminded me of Idaho for some reason.



TENNESSEE (Where everyone is your neighbor and every relative is a future spouse)

Tennessee was both wonderful and heartbreaking at the same time. Having the name of Dave I grew up listening to various people who thought they were very witty sing the Davy Crockett song to me all the time. Each person was convinced that they were the only one to think of this clever jab and were also sure I would find it very funny as well. They weren't and I didn't. But I do now have the Davy Crockett song forever ingrained in my mind. You can understand why I was very upset to see that as we drove by the official Davy Crockett State Park commemorating the spot of his birth there was no mountain in sight. It therefore could hardly be believed that he was indeed, "born on a mountain top in Tennessee" and I am beginning to seriously doubt that he, "killed him a bear when he was only three."

I was about to bow down my head in despair at having a childhood icon reduced to nothing more that hickland propaganda when I saw a billboard that filled my mind with wonder.



Yes, an all you can eat KFC buffet! The thought that you would want to eat your weight in KFC had never occurred to me before. But I was convinced that there is not another one in the world so I decided we were definitely going to eat there. The feeding trough was populated by the type of people you would expect to find at a KFC buffet, and their ability to gum the food down at record speed was mesmerizing. I'll just say that there's a good reason KFC shouldn't be shoveled down your mouth with uninhibited gluttony. It's one of those foods that should be taken in moderation if you want your arteries to stay free of pure grease and chicken bones. But I shoveled it in along side my fellow Americans and will probably die younger because of it.



And Tennessee had their own freeway daisy that came in a wonderful shade of purple. But I was hallucinating from the effects of KFC's 7 herbs and spices at that point so I didn't really appreciate them like I should have and forgot to get a picture.

NORTH CAROLINA (where every freeway daisy is welcome)

N. Carolina was a wonderful place. It was warm, green, and beautiful. The people were nice and remarkably well educated. We met tons of people who had the appearance of being a few pigs short of a litter but turned out to be very intelligent and kind. We'll post about the things we did there later but for me the freeway daisies in N. Carolina summed the state up nicely. Somehow all the different wild flowers from the other states had found their way here and blended together into a bouquet of loveliness.

14 comments:

AnnCP said...

Brilliant!

Anonymous said...

I see why Lo-Flow wanted Dave to write his OWN version....

Gavin and Shawna said...

I've never heard states described by their freeway horticulture....when we lived in in the East, we usually defined by which state had the most expensive tolls or which ones even had gas/food options any where near the freeway. I can only imagine your fun!!
And...Lo- don't you get sick reading in the car?! Eww...just thinking about it makes me nauseas!!
Glad you had fun!!!

Mike and Shannon said...

What a fun trip! You guys are so awesome to explore the region before school is over. I am sure the girls LOVED having both grandparents visit in May. We miss you guys!

Don't Blink said...

First of all if dental school doesn't work out it looks like Dave has the look with the "Stache" for a job in West Virginia :) Hee Hee! Don't get me wrong, Jared thinks you look sexy hot! We were just disappointed that you didn't have the "stache" while eating the KFC buffet. Thanks for giving me the giggles!
We are glad you had a good time Ricky Bobby.

Karen Kunzler said...

I think that if dental school doesn't work out, or you just get bored of it, you should write comedy novels. You are SO descriptive that it is as if I am in the car with you looking at all the freeway daisies. Glad you guys got away and had a fun ROAD TRIP!!!!

Lauren said...

Hey Loralee! Don't think I'm a dork, but I was at TJ Max today and they had 1 outfit left for $7.00 in a 5T. So I bought it just in case you are still interested. :)

Rachel said...

Sweet facial Dave! ;)

Eric, Janae, Kallie, Sadie said...

Dave... I need your email address. Send me an email to ericence@hotmail.com.
Boards are in a few weeks and I would love some advice.
Eric

Jeanette said...

Jason grew that kind of facial hair once. He looked about as good as you did!

Sherrie said...

How funny. We drove down to Georgia last Thanksgiving...and loved the drive. But, being in the late fall, the freeway daisies were dormant or something. Looks like we missed out!

Unknown said...

OH MY HECK for several reasons.

First, we were just in West VA too..and I saw that SAME white flower field (o.k. it could have been a different ont) and porn sign (ok, it could have been a different one too. I almost shot a picture of the porn sign too, but, much like your adventure...missed it!

And, the second oh my heck....you probably drove right through Knoville, and didn't stop in?

You are fired as my blogging friend.

I loved the photos..all different colors....just so you know.. in east TN they are orange...like the color of the Vols football team :)

I hope you had a great trip!

Shanda said...

Nice work :) I would have never thought to strap a gorilla pod to the steering wheel. HILARIOUS! Love you guys!

Asialene said...

Gorgeous! What a beautiful road trip. I loved all the details and can't wait to hear more about the rest of your trip. What a nice husband to do all the driving and let the wife read for YOUR Christmas present. :) (I would have done the same thing and made Davis drive.)
P.S. I'll try to talk Davis into going out to NY. When were you thinking of going?