Monday, June 9, 2008

Life's Lessons

I learned today that I haven't been very diligent about teaching Emma the all-important life lesson of not always saying what is in your head.

Case in point #1:
We went to the grocery store today. We picked up some apples and bananas, then I headed over to the grapes. There were about 3 other women all around me, getting grapes. I started picking through them to find a "good" bag when Emma yells out, "Mom, you can't get grapes! Grapes give you diarrhea!"

Let me clarify. Grapes don't give ME diarrhea. Ever since Emma was a baby, any time she had raisins or grapes she would end up with a BAD diaper and the rash that comes with it. So when she would ask for either of those (before being potty-trained) we would always tell her no, it will make your bum hurt. I really don't know where she finally made the connection that they DID give her diarrhea, or where she even learned the word diarrhea. But, alas, the damage was done.
The ladies around me, plus some employees IN THE OTHER AISLE, were laughing hysterically. All throughout the store, any time we went through an aisle and ran into someone who heard it, we were applauded for giving them the best laugh of the day.

Case in point #2:
After putting Bree down for her nap, Emma and I decided to put on swimsuits and go outside to play in the water. Emma quickly put hers on and came into the room where I was getting dressed. I am the first to admit that my body doesn't look so fabulous since getting swollen with 2 kids. She takes one look at my unclothed body and LAUGHS! I tell her it's not polite to laugh and she says, "But Mommy, your (insert any body part you want here) is JIGGLY!" giggle giggle giggle. There's more that she said that I will share only with Dave and laugh my head off about.

So, yes, we have some work to do.

5 comments:

Gina said...

Oh boy... I had a similar "getting dressed" experience last week. Kids are so dang blunt, aren't they? I couldn't blog all of what he said either... inside stories for us to keep and laugh our butts off about.

Haley said...

Aren't kids the best at being honest? Treyson was commenting on the difference between girls and boys... he said that Macey had a weird looking "peepee". Ha ha ha.

Unknown said...

No better way to teach a toddler human anatomy than to let them walk in on you naked... I hope my children won't be traumatized for life..I can be quite the streaker...I just want them to appreciate their young healthy bodies...if they see their "jiggly" mom once in a while, surely they will appreciate their own bodies a whole lot more...

And what better way to teach your kid healthy body image than not being afraid to run from the bathroom to the bedroom naked?

Ashlee and Shane said...

ok, that is hilarious! I let gavin and tanner moosh my stomach around sometimes. They like to watch it jiggle and think it is funny too. :)

thekerrclan said...

Out of the mouths of babes, huh?