Saturday, July 18, 2009

I will never eat grapes again

There are a lot of things we love about where we live now. The sunny skies, the mild ocean breeze, the rolling hills, friendly people, and the quiet surroundings. However, there are some small drawbacks to being here. We still have to drive 5 hours to see our closest relative, my allergies are acting up, and eating the grapes here can cause you to die a horrible death!!

Imagine our horror after opening a package of grapes and finding a huge spider staring back at us with obvious malcontent in it's many eyes. And not just any spider, a BLACK WIDOW. It's a good thing Loralee is the one who found it. She didn't freak out at all and was calm enough to get a picture of the evil creature. If I had found it I would have first, screamed like a little girl. Second, done the I hate spiders dance which involves a lot of high steps and arm flailing, and then passed out thereby giving the spider ample time to crawl into my mouth or ear and lay all it's eggs. It's a self defeating behavior but one that's out of my control.

Here's some nice pictures of the quickly smashed invader. Needless to say I am now a grapeatarian (one who abstains from eating grapes out of fear of biting into or being bit by an overgrown and juicy/crunchy arachnid)

10 comments:

Ashlee and Shane said...

that is scary...when i lived in south carolina growing up, they had those there and we were so terrified of them. I think that is where my fear of spiders developed.

AnnCP said...

The spider dance - sounds interesting and great entertainment!!! Glad Loralee developed a love for spiders like her mom!!!!

The JL McGregor Family said...

Yep. Pretty gross. So did you guys throw the whole bunch away? I think a similar thing happened (only it was a daddy long legs, a little less life-threatening). Joe and I washed off the grapes and said they were ok. Then they rotted in the fridge because no one would eat them.

jaymie said...

nasty!

Alaska Massey said...

Yuck! That is so creepy. I hate spiders! There aren't any big or poisonous spiders here, but I still freak out any time I see them. I can't imagine finding a black widow in my food. -Angela

Lott's Wife said...

I'm thinking this was posted by Dr Dave??? Hilarious..I would have loved to have seen the 'I hate spider' dance..attractive....

Alisha said...

sick sick sick. I'm doing the spider dance just reading this. I have the wonderful fear of spiders too so I'm with ya. bbwwauuhhhhaaaa

Unknown said...

spiders don't scare me, but really a black widow???? creepy

Adam and Jess said...

Oh, I just got the chills reading this. I would have to say spiders are one of my worst fears, so I definitely would've screamed like a girl. I can't believe you were calm enough to take a picture!!!!

Andersons and sons said...

It is not uncommon at all to find big poisonous spiders out here in Cali! My hubby is deathly afraid of them so we make sure we get the outside sprayed each year. Yikes though I can handle the Daddy long legs but not the black widow with the red on it!! You must of jumped 5 ft when you seen it:)

Yes, I love Barlow Girl too and so many other women singers and composers. Glad you found me on here and I really enjoyed our visit the other day.

See ya soon!