Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Sugar strike

I need some SERIOUS help. I need to stop eating sweets. Really, I eat a pretty good diet of healthy foods, but then the sugar craving hits and I'm down for the count. So this is my SOS. Anyone who is around me-I need you to tell me NO! I don't want any reasons to celebrate anything. And if we have to celebrate (yes, I am aware that there are multiple baby showers coming up, one of which I'm planning) I need everyone at the function to watch me like a hawk and not let me near any of that sugary goodness.

Okay, I'll be realistic. How about this. If any of you have great ideas that help you avoid eating sweets on a regular basis, I want to hear them. But none of the "don't buy sweets" things b/c if I don't buy them, I make them, and you'd be surprised with what you can make with a little flour, sugar, and oats. You're all going to be dealing with someone VERY resourceful when it comes to satisfying cravings. But this needs to be a group effort! Maybe I'm just the only insane one who needs help with this, but I'm willing to put myself out there and take one for the team!

27 comments:

Ammieloris said...

I agree! It is so hard not to eat homemade sweets,because they taste infinitely better than anything you can buy at the store, and they're fun to make! :) My solution might not be a big enough solution for you, because total denial doesn't work for me at all. My husband and I tell ourselves we can each have one sweet thing a day. For Jonathan this might mean an apple with peanut butter, although I never count things like that. When we are doing really well, we each get only one dessert per week. (Freezing most of a pan of brownies for later requires a lot of self-control, too!)

Anonymous said...

IF I want to down the WHOLE bag of peanut M&M's I just drink LOTS of water and go clean something. OKay who am I kidding! I just grab my route 44 Dr. Pepper and my house is still a mess. I'm allowed to blame that on pregnancy, right? IF I'm not pregnant I really did drink a ton of water and tried to clean something to take my mind off all the sugary nirvana around my house. Love you!

Davis Smith said...

I have ALWAYS had the same problem. My family grew up eating very unhealthy foods, and not only that, we'd stay up late and eat them until 1 am.

I want my kids to learn to be healthy, so that motivates me a little. I like to keep small sweets around the house, so I can satisfy that sweet tooth but with a smaller portion (like bite size snickers, etc.)

Oh, one more thing. Do you like trail mix? I keep the Costco snack bag sizes in my pantry and that will satisfy my cravings sometimes. BUT - I pick at it and make sure I get a nut, raisin and M&M in each bite (then throw away the extra nuts and raisins :). It's sweet, but not as bad as some other candies out there.

I'm going to check back on what others have said because I have the same problem and I always feel so guilty that I don't have any self control.

lramey said...

oh i am so with you on this! i'm struggling with the same EXACT addiction too! As of now i haven't had any treats for 2 weeks! that's almost a record for me. A few months ago I did it for a month and a half, but i'm destined to go until my birthday this time- that's June 22....oh boy! I had to stop buying anything that i could make anything out of...yeah, there goes the weekly suppy of chocolate chips, and i've just committed to myself. Everytime I feel like eating some tasty treat, i go pull up my shirt and tug on the chuggers I have growing out of my sides and it puts a good ol stop to that craving- it's for a higher cause right? HEy, I just want to lose 8 pounds. is that too much to ask? Apparently, it is...but we'll keep trying. I just grab a banana or strawberries or craisins (cuz that's still fruit) to help....

i'm pathetic I know, but treats are the heaven of my life, and it's hard stuff to let them go. I'd rather eat my toenails for breakfast lunch and dinner!

Laurel said...

I am TOTALLY with you on the whole "I'll just bake 'em" approach... I have never been good at completely cutting certain foods out of my life (nope, it didn't work with Diet Coke either), so I just try to really pick and choose the ones I DO devour. I don't necessarily love EVERYTHING super sweet, so I might only have a few bites and call it quits. When something is really rich I generally can't eat a lot of it to go overboard anyway. I don't know if that helps at all, I only know that for me completely cutting something out doesn't last. Good luck!

the phipps said...

This is so funny because that is so me! I've decided that I'm literally addicted to sweets- I know its cliche but I seriously have a problem. So like you I don't buy sweets and I can't make them because I eat the whole batch. So my thing is I try hard all week and then Sunday night we usually make something fun- I try and share with neighbors too so that I don't have the whole batch to myself. I'm so glad that I'm not alone- they seriously need AA for sweet tooths.

Ashlee and Shane said...

I just attack sweet fruits when i want sweets. Strawberries, grapes, kiwi...Dip it in light whipped cream for more of a sweet taste. I will try to fix something not so sweet on sunday... ;)

Haley said...

I'm looking for some help myself!!! I'll let you know if something comes into my brain.... but I think I'm about to go make cookies. Oops, sorry.

Dave and Loralee said...

I'd appreciate it if we could all stop with these ideas. My day at school is very stressful and I get untold joy out of a cookie fresh from the oven. If you all keep this up Loralee is going to stop making them and then where will I be? I'll tell you. I'll be a bald, stressed, mentally unstable wreck. Why bald you ask? Because I believe cookies make your hair grow.

Dave

AnnCP said...

Dark chocolate - keep it around in mass quantities. Got a craving, pop one in your mouth and suck on it. This does keep the cravings at bay.

Also consider if you want to make a batch of cookies? Ask yourself do I want to clean up the mess after making them? If the answer is NO then you are saved for another day.

But since I really want some peanut butter cookies, and I have put off making them for a week, I am going to succumb to my need for PB cookies and make some tonight. Maybe I can persuade Dad to clean up (hee hee!).

And when you do make a batch of cookies - shape/make the cookie dough up as if you are going to bake it - then freeze them; put the frozen cookie balls in a container in the freezer - so DAVE can bake himself a cookie/ies, fresh, hot out of the oven when he gets home from school. We want to keep all of Dave's hair intact.

mom

Vance and Julianne said...

My solution is get a stomach like mine and you won't crave them as much. That came out a little wrong! Too much sugar makes me sick. Wny am I the only one in the family that seems to react that way??

Anonymous said...

Honestly, that's why I work-out/run...so I can eat AND enjoy these sweet cravings I can NOT avoid. It's really a good thing that sweets are my addiction and not alcohol or other things. So I admit, I am an addict - but I work hard for that dang fix!!!

Ashlee and Shane said...

Maybe plan out one day a week where you will make sweets. My mom used to make us a cake every friday and it was there waiting for us when we got home from school. :) ohhh, that was soooo good. :) I made cookies last night...you just gotta have em once in awhile! :)

chrissy said...

oh my word you people are entertaining. so much passion for sugar.

and dave you are insane. and funny. so maybe insanely funny.

i wish you luck loralee, but i think you look beautiful. :)

Unknown said...

I was telling a friend this same WOE today...

ODE to sugar...what is a girl going to do?

Unknown said...

Oh, and I just tried this dessert the other day..sole ingredients: slatines, sugar, butter, choc chips...it was heaven...talk about some mom who was resourceful

Matt & Brooke said...

Loralee!!! You are so funny and your family is so darn cute! I love your blog and I too am ready to come out of the blog stalking closet for a little sugarholic confessional! I was hoping for some good tips..I need to post this same blog for more ideas because so far nothing can kick the cravings... frozen desserts are better than fresh, and fruit doesn't count as a sugar in my world! Good to hear you guys have finally entered spring! Welcome!!!

Debbie said...

Okay... I'm definitely not going to take the time to read the gazillion other comments you have on this, so if I'm duplicating someone, sorry. But what I do when I trying to avoid sugar binging is that I'll buy a bag of mini somethings... like Mini Milky Ways or Mini Snickers. Those things are super small but will do the trick to satisfy a sweet tooth. Grab one of those and a glass of water to go with it (the water will make you more full) and I'm good. :) But if you want to be REALLY good... just go for the glass of water when you get a sugar attack. It's super refreshing and surprisingly, I usually don't feel the need for the sugar after I drink a glass.

Jessica said...

I too know that you can make WONDERFULLY tasting things with a little oats, sugar, and flour.

I agree with the water thing. I eat one yummy little thing and drink a very large glass of water. I think sometimes I am more thirsty than anything else when I get those munchies.

The P*dunc's said...

I drink Crystal Light for the fruity cravings and eat Sugar Free Chocolate for the chocoholic in me. This usually helps me the best if I am eating really healthy at the time.

gregandlaura said...

OMG I love that you wrote this! I seriously talk about the same addiction every day! I don't think I could go a day without sugar or chocolate! I think the longest I have ever gone was like 5 days - that was a record! But there are a lot of ways to make things less fattening or less sugary, but still taste ok. Replace butter with applesauce and sugar with apple juice concetrate - I know sounds wierd. But it still tastes ok. Also -angel food cake is low in calories. no sugar/low fat Chocolate pudding and graham crackers all help me! I also nibble on dark choclate chips and nuts. Good luck!! I am in the same boat!

Sherrie said...

ahem. ya. I have that same problem. In fact, I used to get a yummy chocolatey treat each week for me and Brooklynn when we went grocery shopping. But, I found something that I like a lot better. Have you tried those "Fuze" fruit juice drinks? YUMMY! So, I keep them in the fridge and during the day I sip on them. They are so good. I recommend the peach mango, strawberry guava, and banana colada. Still sugar...but better than other sugars...and I've never had any luck with swearing off of something completely. :) That wouldn't be any fun!

The Beecrofts said...

You have a million comments on this and it seems that most of us agree- we are addicted too! Remember that addiction specialist from family services on Sunday said that he thinks everyone is addicted to something? I think it is true. So, if you really want to give up the sugar addiction you have to try addiction transfer! Find something else you REALLY like and when you crave something sweet go right to your new favorite way to spoil yourself. Just let me know what you are transfering to, so I can do it with you!

Rachel said...

I'm with you on the sugar loving. I've learned ot embrace it. :)

Oh, don't you worry, you didn't guilt me into adding you! I still have like 10 other people to add I just haven't done it yet!

Anonymous said...

Got your info about the letters..and yes I will call Adrienne to discuss further gatherings, but I heard she was just down in my neck of the woods and didn't call!!!! WHAT??!! Just kidding, we just need to plan something - I don't invite myself and lately things have been SOOOO crazy I don't even sleep! I am sure it goes both ways:)

Jeanette said...

Holy Cow! This is one popular post. I just wanted to say that. I have zero advice. I like sugar too....can't you tell? I don't hide it very well!

Jeanette said...

To answer your question on my blog: The new baby belongs to Todd. He is the one that lives next door. So he has two girls and now a boy. Suzanne is having her third baby in September (?) and Becca is having their 5th (oh my gosh!!) on August or July (I'm awful...I can't remember.) And, yes, it is nice living next to my brother and his cute family. The girls love to get together to play! I too love having family around, esp. my parents. They always take care of me, which is way nice!!!