1. I'm a little bit of a control freak. Not OCD control freak, just more like I like to have my way. It's actually not something I'm proud of. If someone loads the dishwasher for me, I do it all over again...MY way. I don't let my girls paint or do craft projects very often b/c I can't handle glue/markers/paint all over the place. That's why I'm grateful for preschool. Just call me CF for short.
2. I still believe we're in a drought. The whole phrase "If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down" still rings true for me. Dave hates this. But I seriously can't understand the WASTE when it's just a little bit of liquid. Of course, if we have guests, I take care of business, but otherwise... :) I try to maximize my shower, washing machine and dishwasher usage, and when I'm getting ready for bed I let the water heat up for washing my face while I'm brushing my teeth, then the second the water gets warm I turn it off until I'm done brushing. That way I'm not letting it run cold and wasting while I'm brushing my teeth and THEN run it to warm it up. Dave thinks I'm crazy that I'll rinse my mouth with warm water. He can't stand that either. But I can't stand his long hot showers, so I guess we're even there.
3. People think that I can do everything, but I can't. I just copy other people. It's true that if I see something I like I usually don't buy it-I just figure out how to make it myself and personalize it to my tastes. It's good if I can make it for cheaper than it would cost to buy, not so good if it ends up costing more. But even when it costs more, I like the learning process-I come away knowing how to do something I didn't know before. But I'll bet you can't find an "original" thing in my house, just replicates of somebody else's stuff.
4. As social of a person as I am, I actually LOVE having alone time. There is nothing better than laying down with a book (on a couch, in bed, outside in the sun, wherever) by myself. As a matter of fact, I just got a new book from the library, so the faster I finish this, the faster I can get to my book. This is also the reason why people don't see much of me during the day-playdates are hard for me b/c I like to be alone-whether it's a playdate where only the friend comes over, or the friend AND the parent comes over. It's not that I don't love the playdates, b/c I do-I love all my friends and all their kids. It just means less alone time. Weird, huh? I'm actually quite conflicted about it b/c this can't be good for my kids. AND THIS DOESN'T MEAN I DON'T WANT ANY OF YOU TO EVER CALL ME AGAIN :) I'm willing to have playdates-it gets me out of the house :) I'm a control freak AND a hermit...is anyone else noticing a trend?
5. I can't say no. I've actually gotten a LOT better at it, so if I've said "no" to you recently I'm sorry-you should've hit me up a year ago when I wasn't able to say no. It's REALLY hard for me to tell people I can't do something, b/c in all honesty I usually am actually physically able to do most things. But then it kind of goes back to the control issue. If I say I'm going to do something, I put everything into that, and my mental health suffers and my family suffers. So I have to pick and choose. I've gotten better at understanding my limits, which is why you local people won't see me in charge on Saturday at the women's conference-I'll just be actively participating. But for the most part, you'll probably suck me in if you ask me to do something.
6. My sister has mentioned this about herself before, but it applies to me as well. I LOVE color. So when I see awesome scrapbook paper or (my latest addiction) fabric, I go nuts. My sister said that if she could wallpaper her house with scrapbook paper she would. Same goes for me. If we didn't have to focus so much on having to re-sell our house, you wouldn't be walking in and seeing beige walls. We'll have to see how it goes in our next house. I know I'll have to create some sort of "flow" in the house and its color schemes, but I would LOVE to have each room be it's own "character." The closest I've been able to get to what I really love is Emma's room right now. I'm actually quite surprised at the feelings color invokes in me. Maybe my feelings will change over time...but I doubt it. Too bad for Dave-what he really wants is a log cabin with moose curtains. No way. I can't work with that.
So now I tag anyone who has never done this before. Or who has done this before but has a lot to say about themselves :)
And just because a post is always better with pictures, here's one for ya. We went to the Geauga County Fair and thought this was quite accommodating of them...

5 comments:
This was so fun to read, especially the OCD parts :) It reminded me of the good times like when we took a trip with you to see your family in California. I'm way excited to see you guys.
do we have a baby yet?!?!
I love that people are so complicated, otherwise we'd get bored of eachother so quickly! About the 10 Virgins today, I know I told you, but it was picturesque. Really, it will be one of those mental pictures that I hold onto for the rest of my life and draw on when I'm down. I told Matt how beautiful you were and how much he would've liked it and he thinks you should come over and do your part so he can hear it :-)
It was fun to read about you, Loralee. I wish we lived closer so I could come invade your house on a playdate and then load your dishwasher and ask you to do something really complicated that you couldn't say no to. I am so like you in those three things. It's always good to hear someone else is a control freak. Oh yeah, I also like to copy things, which is why I am copying your baby shower cake for a baby shower tomorrow. It's for a baby boy, so I'll change it a little, but basically I'm totally stealing your cake. Love you!
Angela
Hi Loralee,
You know -we are A LOT alike! I fully understood everything you said. We must be related or something :).
Thanks for the Tessa update above. She IS beautiful! Pass on our congrats to Von.
-Angela
Post a Comment