Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Still going...

So, ya, the kitchen STILL isn't done. That's mostly because the only time we have to work on it is when Dave gets home from school, and end of sept/first of oct is major test time. I think I remembered that I've hated these few weeks for the last few years :) I don't understand how they can have SO MANY tests when they're only taking a few classes at this point-he's in clinic for the majority of the day. Oh well, this, too, shall pass :)
Mom told me she keeps checking our blog to see if we've added updates of our progress, so here you are Mom! We just finished putting up the tile, so now we need to grout it, put the drawer front on the sink base, fix the walls and re-frame the window, add the mouldings, put in the new floor and baseboards, then I think we'll be done!! WAHOO! I already LOVE it so much b/c I have a place (and the space) for everything, so it doesn't feel cluttered all the time. For those of you who have wondered why this has been such a big deal to me, you've probably never lived in a 100 yr old house made of plaster. APPRECIATE DRYWALL :) One of the previous owners remodeled the kitchen but didn't pay attention to details, so the cabinets were all screwed up, he used wall cabinets on the floor, and the tile backsplash was so uneven. On the previous post you might have noticed the horizontal wood pieces on the walls-that's how the walls were plastered in the ANCIENT DAYS. The previous owners put the tile on using liquid nails instead of tile adhesive and grout (which we discovered as we started taking the tile down), so everything had to come down and we had to put up drywall. Another "Cleveland special" is uneven floors, so as we put in the cabinets and had to make everything level with everything else, those wonderful wood shims were our BEST friends. We must have gone thru a million packs of them. But, we must say, we're pretty proud of ourselves, having never done anything like this before. Everything is level that can be level (just nothing we can do for the poor floor) and we're finishing things off so that they look professional and not "do it yourself." Some of you might say, why all the work when you're moving in a year and a half? TO SELL THE HOUSE :) I wouldn't exactly call the Cleveland market one of the hot spots in the country. But we DO get a lot of dental/medical/law/podiatry students from the west, mostly LDS, and when they look for a house, they want one that will make them feel at home, and most of these homes won't fit the bill! So our tiny little investment will (hopefully) go a long way. Okay, enough already! Here are the pics!


8 comments:

AnnCP said...

WOW - HOT DOG!!!! It looks fabulous - and I know because I saw the before. Pat yourselves on the back and give your tummy a good Buddha rub for good luck - for the finishing touches!

Laurel said...

And I thought working on an UNFINISHED basement was hard! Nice work, you two! We have been trying to finish our basement for almost a year now, and are getting a little anxious for completion. So I can completely appreciate your hard work. It is looking fabulous!

Karen Kunzler said...

Wow! It is looking great!!! Steve is finishing up our remodel projects also. We layed Vinyl last night and we are hoping to have it all finished this weekend. Take care and it looks awesome!

AJ said...

Wow! It looks so good. It gives me hope that maybe we can do something like that. We are hopefully moving into a house when we move to Minnesota in January, but are probably going to be able to find an old fixer upper. We will have to get tips from you guys.

Tori said...

You kitchen looks great!

Don't forget to register tomorrow for your digi class!

Rondo Family said...

I'm totally jealous that you have a kitchen that you are allowed to remodell. It looks awesome guys:)

Francis Family said...

Wow guys that looks great! I love the backsplash- very cool! The white cabinets make a big difference! Also, I drove past your house the other day on my way to CASE and you painted the outside too- I didn't even know. I like it a lot!

gregandlaura said...

Your kitchen looks amazing! I can't believe you guys did that!! way impressed! oh -I also love your scrapbooking pages on your later post. Are they digital??? I love it!