Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Church Responds to Same-Sex Marriage Votes

This article of the Church's response to the outcome of Prop 8 is remarkable! I like to keep "in touch" with Utah, so I occasionally read the Deseret News online or things from LDS Living online. Every time the church makes a statement I am amazed at the way they are able to express themselves in a kind, respectful, loving manner while being straightforward and honest. I know that those responsible for creating the public statements are led by God. I feel the Spirit-I feel peace and calm-when I read those statements.

Concerning this particular response, the Church addresses the fact that some members of the church opposed Prop 8 and encourages everyone to be kind and respectful of those with opposing views. There has been a lot of "talk" about Steve Young and how his wife was opposed to it, and many members have been angry and have kind of bashed her a bit because of it. But once again, we've been humbled by our leaders and taught that regardless of personal circumstances, we should always show love and respect towards each other. I LOVE how our prophets and leaders are always able to express what we believe in a clear and perfect way! The article addressed all the "issues" people had with Prop 8 in such a way that I feel like I can explain it to someone else, whereas before I had a hard time trying to describe WHY Prop 8 was so important.

So, a happy day in California. I know the fight isn't over, but I'm grateful for the members of the church and others out there who endured a lot of persecution for standing up for what is right!

2 comments:

Caprene said...

So I try to avoid any political talk in the papers or on the news as election seasons approach. I had no idea that Barbara had been in the news. There's been side comments in my office lately that she should be the featured speaker at meetings we are planning at work. Now I get the "joke"
Thanks!

Jeanette said...

It's been crazy around here leading up the election...and now, even after with protests at the temple and even signs being put up on the fence outside the temple. We did a lot of phone calling and talking about this issue and the tension had been very high leading to the election. Having such a big protest go on about it passing makes me anxious. But, what I don't understand is that the majority won. That is how democracy works, so filing an injunction goes against the will of the majority. Hard times. The line in the sand has been drawn and I am grateful I have chosen the Lord's side.