Did any of you read the Babysitters Club books growing up? I was obsessed with them. So, remember how Mallory Pike's family would go to the beach house every summer in Atlantic City? Come on, there was a whole "Special" book about it! I remember when I would read about those trips I had so many visions in my head of what it looked like and I remember wanting to go there so bad. But living on the west coast didn't lend itself to visiting the Jersey shore.
Well, thanks to Matt and Kyla, last summer we went!!!
Of course, for those who don't know, Atlantic City has turned into a kind of sleazy gambling place, not family friendly at all. But Ocean City, just south a little bit, was where we went. It's a "dry" city, meaning no alcohol, and TOTALLY family friendly. All the houses, whether big or small, have the same look and feel. Everything is well-manicured and kept up. It's very clean and beautiful...kind of a resort town. I don't know that there are many full time residents there.
That was one of the best trips I have ever been on. The beaches are beautiful, and surprisingly to me, a lot like the west coast beaches. Except, on west coast beaches, the streets line the beach and people are walking all around, etc. East coast beaches are the ones that all the photographers use to take pictures...like the pathways going towards the water (we got one of those pictures...took it ourselves!). The backs of houses line the beach, and you can only access the beach by certain entry points, so it's not super crowded. We stayed at a hotel in nearby Marmora and everyday we drove to where Matt's family was staying...right on the beach!
Well, thanks to Matt and Kyla, last summer we went!!!
Of course, for those who don't know, Atlantic City has turned into a kind of sleazy gambling place, not family friendly at all. But Ocean City, just south a little bit, was where we went. It's a "dry" city, meaning no alcohol, and TOTALLY family friendly. All the houses, whether big or small, have the same look and feel. Everything is well-manicured and kept up. It's very clean and beautiful...kind of a resort town. I don't know that there are many full time residents there.
That was one of the best trips I have ever been on. The beaches are beautiful, and surprisingly to me, a lot like the west coast beaches. Except, on west coast beaches, the streets line the beach and people are walking all around, etc. East coast beaches are the ones that all the photographers use to take pictures...like the pathways going towards the water (we got one of those pictures...took it ourselves!). The backs of houses line the beach, and you can only access the beach by certain entry points, so it's not super crowded. We stayed at a hotel in nearby Marmora and everyday we drove to where Matt's family was staying...right on the beach!
Last summer they happened to have Matt's sister's nanny with them, so we were able to put babies down for naps and go back out to the water. Then when they woke up we got a phone call! We visited the boardwalk and went on all the rides and flew kites on the beach in the evening. It was a DREAM! I can't believe how relaxed we were and how great it was to spend time together and the weather was PERFECT. It was really weird to be on the beach in the evening and NOT watch the sun set over the water! :)
So, reason for my story...we're gonna go again this summer! No matter what, we're gettin' there. All my visions and good feelings about the Pike family vacations were reiterated and this will forever be a place that I have warm fuzzy feelings about! Ocean City should hire me as their city rep. I'd sell out the city every year! Matt's mom told me stories about how she would go there every year with her family growing up, and she told some great stories about the boardwalk too. That's one of the types of memories I want to have with my family.
Thanks Matt, Kyla, Holly, and Emily for letting us take over your family vacation last year! The memories are priceless and I'm excited to go back!!




7 comments:
LOVE the pictures! I wish I could go...maybe 2009? I miss you guys and am excited for your awesome beach trip
Adrienne
I LOVED THE BABYSITTERS CLUB!!!!!!! Oh Mallory- so like me with her big nerdy glasses...So jealous of your planned trip! I love the trips where you can just chill.....
I am so glad that you make sure you take time for relaxin...life gets so hectic around here...i can't remember our last vacation..i don't even think we have actually ever had a real vacation (a vacation has to be taken when you aren't traveling to see your extended family - that's the only time we go anywhere)
Okay, I never even considered the sun not setting over the ocean! Weird. I am now sold on the Jersey coast and will definitely come to you suggestions if we ever make it that-a-way. I'm glad you get to go again!
Totally loved the Babysitters Club. I was a babysitter myself, so I had this idealized view of life through reading those books. So jealous about your fun family vacations. It reminds me of the summers spent up in Carpenteria with my extended family (Dave should have some memories too...going under the trussels of the train tracks, going to Foster's Freeze, etc.)So fun!
That looks so beautiful and sounds so fun. I am sold! I love how you referenced the BSC too. I loved those books.
I officially recruited and trained Mike on how to post. I am hoping that he will bring some redemption to our pathetic blog! I did post today... can you believe it. We miss you guys!
Post a Comment