Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Warning: This is A Depressing Post. Proceed with Caution

I know that my posts usually are more on the light side of things, so for those of you who want to continue to think happy thoughts about me all the time I would recommend you don't read on. This is a depressing post, but with a sprinkling of hope and perspective too.

The vast majority of people who know me do not, in fact, know something rather big about me. I don't tell most people about it because I don't want them to feel awkward around me, but I've thought about it lately and I've decided that what I once viewed as a huge burden has become a blessing in disguise. This will take some explanation so this post may be a long one.

I suffer from a condition known as dysthymia. Basically this is a persistent low grade depression marked by occasional periods of severe depression. I've had this condition most of my life but didn't realize it until a little over a year ago when I had a very severe depressive episode. Why on earth would I tell you all this you may ask? Well, here comes the perspective part. I was able to recognize that something was wrong when someone spoke about their personal battle with depression in Church one Sunday. Until they described what they felt I didn't recognize my own feelings for what they were. So, I want to pass that onto someone who might be in need now.

Depression is the worst thing I've ever experienced. It's honestly impossible to describe it adequately to someone who hasn't gone through it themselves. For me personally I felt like my soul was cracked and at any moment I would come crumbling apart all together. Nothing brought me any happiness and after a while I couldn't remember ever feeling happy, or peace, or hope. Situations that before would be easy to handle suddenly become a huge effort to deal with. I felt constantly exhausted, both emotionally and physically. Life was a chore and every morning was met with a feeling of dread knowing I had to go through the pain all over again. There was no light at the end of the tunnel. I never considered ending it all, but for the first time in my life I understood why someone would. When life is constant agony it's hard to want to go on.

On top of all of this was a crushing guilt. I had no reason to feel this way. My life was great compared to so many other's. I have a great family, a wonderful wife, great kids, I'm achieving my goals. What was there to be so down about?

The smartest thing I did was make the decision to not fight the depression on my own. I knew that what I was going through would impact people close to me so I brought them on as a support system. The simple act of sharing and saying out loud what I was going through took a huge burden off of me. I saw a therapist for a while during the worst of it, and I spoke to my bishop about it. Loralee was a huge support. I know that some feel there is a stigma associated with depression, but I'm glad I wasn't so worried about what others might say about me that I tried to keep everything inside. That would have been a very big mistake.

How could this be a blessing? First let me say that I've made it through the depression with minimal scarring and now that I recognize the thoughts and feelings for what they are, even the minor depressive episodes are becoming more rare. More importantly I feel like I was allowed to go through this experience to give me some understanding of others who are suffering. Since I had my dark period there have been a number of people in my life who are also suffering. If I hadn't gone through it myself I would be looking in from the outside not knowing what to say. But since I have some idea what they're feeling I can let them know what helped me. Most importantly I can promise them that no matter how dark it is now, no matter how hopeless and alone they may feel, better times are ahead. It will pass, you will feel happy again.

I don't know why I've felt strongly that I needed to share this right now but I do. For good or for bad we are all connected to each other. So many people helped me when I was down and continue to bless my life now. I hope that those around me know that if they need help that I'll do what I can for them. For now this may just be sharing embarassing moments of my life for them to laugh at, but if that's what it takes then I'll take one for the team.

So in that spirit I present to you the new and improved Dave. AKA Mouth of Steel. Eat your hearts out ladies.

11 comments:

AnnCP said...

Dave - you are beautiful! Love the steel look - it is so masculine! Always keep the wax handy.

And your post - you amaze me. We are so lucky to have you as part of our family.

Anonymous said...

It is conmforting to know that you are not alone and I'm so glad you are in our crazy but wonderful family. I could have written that post , but probably not as well. I'm so glad that the light is at the end of the tunnel and that Loralee has YOU. You are awesome!

Ammieloris said...

Thanks for the post. Jonathan also struggles with depression. I think he feels a lot like you described: not remembering ever feeling happy or peaceful, and feeling pretty constantly guilty. I'll pass this post on to him. As for the metal mouth shot, I'm not sure which is more attractive, the stretched lips or the gums...

Ashlee and Shane said...

Thanks for sharing that. I love the brace look! :)

Karen Kunzler said...

Loralee, You can now go to the recipes through our blog. I thought I took off the securties, but obviously I didn't. I hope they enjoy them. I need to add some more, but life has been busy. Thanks for your comment about Loralee. She is doing better, and today she is finally eating normal. I just hope my milk supply can catch up.

Laurel said...

I am impressed to know you are gaining such comfort from exploring your feelings and with such a strong support in your friends and family. As long as I have known her, one of my very best friends has had similar symptoms to those you seem to be describing, and has also grown immensely through taking the time and dedication to work through them.

Thank you so much for sharing.


ps. LOVE the braces!

Mindy said...

So . . wait, the braces aren't part of your healing? :) Just kidding. We love you! Thanks for sharing - Loralee is married to a great guy and she's awesome to support you.

Unknown said...

Dave - I don't know you at all, but am proud of you for having the courage to talk about your disorder....My sister in law has disthymic disorder and it is nothing to be embarrassed about. I love it that you are willing to be open about it.

It is those of us that are willing to experience something and be open about it that can truly help others.

I was diagnosed BiPolar Type II 4 years ago. It was so tough. (Talk about the real crazy people disease - disthymia can't touch BiPolarism) I have been so blessed as my medication has totally evened me out and helped me experience a normal life. I am so happy most of the time now and it is so wonderful to feel this way.

It is also wonderful that I have been able to help so many other "sufferers". There is no reason for shame. It takes brave people to erase ignorant stigmas.

Thank you for your post. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Jeanette said...

Wow, Dave! You are very introspective, and fearless. I guess the only real way to get through life is to face the obstacles that come our way and deal with them. It must be liberating, in some way, for you to finally understand what you've been feeling all these years. Hoorah for you for having the courage to deal with your depression, instead of living in fear of it. And, on a lighter note, who knew I had a cousin that is such an eloquent write?

The P*dunc's said...

amen, brotha from anotha motha! I wish we could get everyone to understand that we people with problems are actually cooler than people without problems!

-k

chrissy said...

you're great dave.

no shame in depression either. i g et post pardum,, so I sort of get it.

i always think "just keep your head up and hope for better days..."