Thursday, January 17, 2008

Some progress...

We haven't completely forgotten to finish our kitchen, it's just been on the back burner. We had some "hiccups" along the way. We bought the wood laminate flooring to install ourselves. We were told that we needed to saw out the bottom of the door mouldings and slide the laminate under b/c our mouldings are so old there's no way we could remove them. So we did that. We opened all the packages so we could "acclimate" them to the room temperature. We rented the power saw to cut the pieces. Then we took a good hard look at our kitchen and realized that there was no way we could do this. There are so many corners and just weird spots to fit around. So we called Lowes to come do an estimate for installation. The guy walked in the door and looked at the floor and said, no way, can't do it. WHAT?!!!! Our floor is way too unlevel (LOVE these old houses!), and if we installed the flooring it would just snap and break. Can't make the floor level b/c the process would cost thousands of dollars. Only option is a vinyl sheet. So he takes measurements to do that. Get the quote the next day...$1500!!!! Because of the little bathroom off to one side and the little bit of hallway off to the other side, we'd have to pay for a 12'x16' foot piece of vinyl, of which we would waste a very LARGE amount. So, our only other option is the vinyl tiles. I didn't want to do those b/c we have carpet throughout our whole house and there really isn't any "wood" look anywhere. And between the counter and backsplash, I thought the vinyl tiles would be too "busy." But we headed to Lowes to return our boxes of opened flooring (THAT was an adventure!) and try to find another option. Lo and behold, what do we see?? The cheapest option of all, which works PERFECTLY for us!! We found the sticky backed vinyl pieces of wood! 4"x36" strips, and they were only $0.90 a square foot-ten cents cheaper than what we thought was the cheapest option!! (Sorry, real tile wasn't an option...not doing it) WAHOO!!!
SO, last Saturday we put it in, and boy, does it look FABULOUS. It was so easy to install, and it has made such a difference in the look of the kitchen.
So, now we just need to add the baseboards and all the mouldings, touch up on a bunch of paint spots, add some curtains, fix a few outlets, and WALA! We'll be done!
Sorry for the long story. I get really chatty when I'm excited about something :)

10 comments:

Gavin and Shawna said...

Nice work you guys...handy and funny too!! It does look really nice...it ALMOST makes me want to do something in my kitchen. Wait, nope! I bought a 3 y.o. house on purpose.
But you guys are awesome for sticking to it.
Shawna

Jeanette said...

I am so glad you found my blog! However, mine pales in comparison to the hilarious stories and adorable pics you provide. I'm glad you are all doing so well. We did miss seeing you over Christmas! But, from what I can tell, you all were super busy with the million family members you had to visit! Your family is so cute, and I look forward to keeping tabs!!

Ashlee and Shane said...

what a good looking kitchen! Great job on the floors! We won't be fixin our kitchen anytime soon, but lookin at yours makes me excited for when we get a house one day that i REALLY want and can afford. I hate our kitchen floor! It is white laminate...i can't stand white flooring! I have to mop like everyday! Your white cabinets look pretty. I don't like my white cabinets b/c they are old and get dirty so fast!

Sheila said...

Wow, I LOVE your kitchen, super cute! Nicely done on the floors! It makes me get excited to have a house...someday.

Sheila said...

PS We're living in Sacramento right now while Jeff finishes his Physical Therapy program...and then, who knows! And we're having a boy Feb.2nd.

Kari said...

Wow! Looks great! Doesn't it feel so good to find the cheapest option that still looks great??:) Miss you!

The P*dunc's said...

Hey guys, that looks so good. I only saw your old kitchen once (don't remember a whole lot about it) but this is a HUGE improvement!

Francis Family said...

Wow!! I love it- the wood floor looks so good! So close to being finished- let me assure you there isn't a better feeling then being done with it! What a makeover!

Gina said...

Gorgeous! So envious over here.

Karen Kunzler said...

Your floors looks awesome!!!! You guys did a great job. I know how it is to still have a LONG list of little things to do. Steve still needs to replace one outlet, we have two doors that still need their hinges replaced to the ones that match the knobs, the bathroom slate backsplash still needs to be grouted, the backsplash in the masterbath still needs to be put up, and a mirror that has been sitting against the wall needs to go in the bathroom also. But hey when it is ALL done it will be awesome!!!! Good luck getting everything done.