Monday, January 7, 2008

I've grown past high school

I discovered the other day that I have finally outgrown the emotional scars of high school. I was walking in the Target parking lot carrying some luggage we got from there that had broken in one hand and a broken pink piano in the other. It was a busy day so I was trying to watch the cars to make sure I wouldn't get hit. A car full of high school kids was rolling up and to my surprise they stopped to let me by which was kind of them.

Unfortunately I didn't notice that where I was standing, out of my line of sight due to the luggage carrying, was a piece of police tape right at ankle level. That's an interesting thing about Cleveland, there's police tape everywhere. I don't know if there was an actual crime committed there or if some police officer was just bored and decided to tape the area off. Either way I didn't see it. So when I gave that car full of teenagers a grateful nod and started to walk I was stunned to find that my foot had been trapped by some mysterious force and only thanks to my serious athletic ability did I manage to stay upright.

A rational person would at this point look down to see what had ensnared them. But I refused to be controlled by rational thought. "Let's just try that again" I said. This time I almost hit myself in the head with the pink piano because my arms were flailing around in a windmill motion trying to keep my balance. "Well, that didn't work. What would happen if I started out with my other foot?" I think you get the point.

This whole battle with gravity and police tape only lasted a few seconds but during that time I managed to achieve positions usually only seen in Olympic gymnastics. Let us not forget that there is a car full of teenagers right in front of me wetting their pants laughing at the fat white guy tripping over a small piece of tape over and over again. Eventually I freed myself and looked up to see them pointing and pounding their heads against the dashboard in pubescent glee. And here's the magical part, I didn't care. I'm almost 30 and I finally discovered that the psychological hold high school had on me is no longer there. Life is full of little miracles.

12 comments:

Ashlee and Shane said...

hahaha...i love the way you describe your daily happenings. You are so funny!

Mostly Leighanna, some Jordan said...

funny how that story was conspicuously absent from any conversations on sunday. i think it goes without saying that is exactly the kind of story I would enjoy.

Laurel said...

That's hilarious! And the prepubescent part of me wishes I had been in that car, banging my own head against the dashboard in pure happiness. Does that qualify me as immature?

AnnCP said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AnnCP said...

After all your gymnastic moves - did you remember to take a bow? That would have been sweet!

lramey said...

that's HILARIOUS!!! I would've been hitting my head against the dash board laughing as my almost 30 year old self too....we can still act high school right?

Dave and Loralee said...

in response to Ann's question. Yes I did take a little bow. I felt I had earned it for managing to stay on my feet.

chrissy said...

did loralee get you a ribbon wand for christmas so you can join the Olympic rythmic dance team?

loved the story....so funny. only cause i've done similar.

Karen Kunzler said...

I was laughing OUT LOUD reading this. Only because I do this all the time...make a fool of myself. Glad to see someone else has joined the club.

Lauren said...

Thanks for the laugh! I love your posts Dave!

TheTandyFamily said...

Hey Loralee,
Thank you for the message. It is so fun when you can reconnect with someone and have a new blogging friend. Yeah! I loved looking at the pictures of your little girls. I remember when Emma was just a little baby and now she is so grown up. How fun that you also have two girls. Don't you love it! If their is a perfect mom of girls it is definitly you. I remember how cute Emma always looked with her bows, bracelets, etc. All the girly stuff. How fun! I can't wait to keep up on what you guys are doing.
Love, Michelle

Debbie said...

I'm in the car with the rest of the high schoolers! :) Laughed out loud at this one, Dave. Hilarious! You have such a comical way of retelling your life. I hope you're printing out these blogs or something so your kids can go back and read them some day. It's hysterical.