But I watch professional sports to be entertained. And I find no entertainment in watching a team I'm rooting for get stomped into the ground week after week. I might as well go outside, get a hammer, and smack my big toe around for a few hours. If I'm going to suffer I could at least do it right.
This is why I was one of the 0.001% of American's who wanted to see the Patriots win the Superbowl today. To be able to witness a perfect season is something to root for in my opinion. Some people say they were too cocky, but people always say that about a team that dominates for that long. People always want to tear down the top dog and that's who the Patriots were, until today.
All credit to the Giants for winning the game. They outplayed the Patriots all day so they deserve the win. But I'm still sad to see a dynasty team in all likelihood come to an end. I think they'll make it to more Superbowls before it's all said and done but this core group won't be around much longer. If my genes are ever able to produce a son I'll be able to talk with him about all of these Hall of Fame players I got to watch. And if I have no male heir then I'll bore my girls with the same stories. I hope the Patriots stay a contender for a few more years. It's hard to find another team to mooch my joy off of.
On a final note I want to say that this doesn't apply to college sports. I'm a BYU fan all the way. My testimony of the Church if often tied up in the fate of the football program. Unhealthy I know but probably more common than most of us want to admit.

4 comments:
We were torn who to cheer for, like you we wanted to see the Patriots go all the way and make history, but we also wanted the Giants to win. Randomly it was snowing (more like slush) and we lost satellite signal for over half the game, but we finally brushed off the snow, made some DISH phone calls and we were back in busines to see the Giants pull through at the end. Good game.
You know, you are a really good writer! I bet you did good in your english classes...? I really enjoy reading your posts. Anyway, besides that, i did want the Patriots to go down and FINALLY one of the teams i really wanted to win has won! I am always cheering for OU(Oklahoma) and they continually disappoint me once they have a BIG game! I wanted the Indians to win, but that didn't happen. I wanted Ohio to win, but that didn't happen. Anyway, last night was a victory for me and i am so excited! :)
you're just sorry there was no clear winner in our own game last night. j/k
honestly i didn't care so much. i'm a fair weather fan as well, but i also enjoy a good upset.
That last long catch by the Giants was amazing...the deserved to win just for that.
Post a Comment