Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Gratitude Day #1

I've seen a lot of people doing the gratitude thing every day for a month, and I think it was centered around Thanksgiving. But I thought it was a good opportunity for me to look beyond the dismal gray cloud cover that has now surrounded our lovely city (ha) and find things to be happy and grateful for each day.

Today is a superficial one. I'm grateful for Southwest Airlines :) First off, GREAT ticket prices, 2 pieces of free luggage, free curbside check-in, and first come, first served seating (or, if you're not fast enough...family boarding). AND you can check carseats for FREE! We have 2 carseat travel bags, and we've figured out a nice trick. The bags are enormous and have room in them even after the carseats are in them. So in order to lighten the load in the rest of our luggage, we throw in snow coats, boots, blankets, hats, gloves, stuffed animals, you name it (and it can't be destroyed if thrown around) and it goes in there!

So my friend Shannon leaves tomorrow for Utah and she's flying on Delta. They've just changed their luggage policy to the 1st bag is $15, the 2nd bag is $35, and carseats aren't free!! And you have to pay EACH WAY!! I had previously told her about our little trick that we do and she came by to pick up a carseat bag to borrow, and that's when she told me about their policy. EVERY OTHER AIRLINE RIPS YOU OFF!! I was angry for her.

So I'm grateful that Southwest made our recent trip to Utah pleasant, cheap, and stress free. From now on, I will only fly on Southwest. ding.

4 comments:

Lauren said...

are you kidding???? I heard about the 1st piece of luggage, but they are charging for car seats too? We are screwed. Lets see, with 3 suitcases and 2 car seat we might as well buy another ticket and put our luggage in its own seat next to us! great

Sherrie said...

Gotta love the airlines. Maybe Pres. Uchtdorf could do something about that. Okay, bad joke maybe. :)

MetroParks said...

So I have talked to two different friends who are flying this holiday since I read your post and it really is amazing that anyone flies anything but Southwest. The one friend is stressed about all the baggage fees and the other just got $270 credited to her Southwest account for changing her flights! What other airline lets you go online and change your flights to less expensive ones and then gives you money back and doesn't charge you any fees. Delta, United and some of the others do not even start talking to you about changing flights without first charging you $100.
If you can't tell I too am a huge fan of Southwest. Besides all of the other fantastic things you wrote about I love that they have the best record for avoiding delays and cancellations for the last 2 years. Okay I will stop now:-)

Dave and Loralee said...

Ya-I forgot to mention that too! I got a Ding and the flights that I already booked were cheaper, so they let me rebook at the cheaper price and I got a credit. Then, a day before we were coming back I decided to change my flight to a different time, and even though it was last minute, all it did was use up the credit I already had (which wasn't huge)-no other charges! SOUTHWEST ROCKS! hee-they should pay us for advertising :)