Saturday, December 20, 2008

Gratitude Day #12

I'm grateful for my parents. I have a lot more appreciation for them now that I'm a parent. I think that's the way God planned it :) I think I went through all the normal stages when it comes to my parents-wanting all their attention, becoming more independent, thinking they didn't know anything (teen years!), then relying on them more, etc. I like the stage we're in right now. They are still my parents, but we're a better team now.

I'm grateful that they are both strong in the gospel. I think my gift of never wavering came from them. They taught me all the gospel principles, and those principles and values make me who I am. I am who I am because of those principles, not only because I'm a member of the church. I think people misconstrue that sometimes. They think we are defined by our membership in the church instead of being defined by WHO we are and the way we live our life. Not all members of the church live good lives, and not everyone who lives a good life is a member of the church. I'm grateful that the church guides us to hold these principles close and dear to our hearts, and I'm grateful that my parents taught me those principles and taught me the importance of keeping those principles. It's not always easy-it's downright hard sometimes! It's easy to lose hope. But I have watched my parents endure some pretty crazy things and they have kept true to those values throughout. The best lesson I've learned in this regard is that ultimately, Heavenly Father is in charge, so I can talk about something and think about something till my eyes pop out of my head, but it won't matter until I go to Him in prayer. And He will always answer those prayers-not always in the way I think or want, but I will receive an answer!

They have a genuine love for and interest in other people. It's not hard for them to make friends and have a good time! But once you come into their lives, they will be concerned for your well-being and want you to be happy. They are loyal friends. That's such a good quality.

I'm grateful for the lessons they taught me about working hard. And I don't mean work like a "job" type work. I mean putting forth the best effort in EVERYTHING you do. You will never see either of them doing a half-baked job (unless it's Mom's 20th paper due that week-haha! welcome back to school Mom!). It's a little bit of a catch-22 because I find myself going over the top on things that aren't necessary, but at the same time, I like how I feel when I've gone over the top sometimes :) And some things need someone to go over the top on them! hee.

I could go on and on about them, but I'll just mention a trait I've gotten from each of them that I'm thankful for. I got my dad's "passion" for things. You can always tell when he's excited about something because he gets really passionate about it and likes to talk to you about it, and I'm JUST like that. And I LOVE how I feel when I'm passionate about something! It's a great feeling! I feel hopeful, confident, excited, smart. Sometimes I get a little overbearing when I am passionate about something, but if what I am passionate about helps someone in any way, then I'm okay with people thinking I'm overbearing. But Dad is the same way-and the things that he knows are always helpful to others. I love knowing that what I'm feeling when I'm passionate about topics is probably the same way Dad feels, and that makes me feel a little more "bonded" with him :)

And from my mom I got my ability to create and my drive to make the things around me look beautiful. I went through a little spurt where I was concerned that my desire to make things around me look good was superficial and shallow and materialistic. But I got over that real fast :) My mom can make ANYTHING look good! She is sooooo talented with creating-fabrics, pictures, food, furniture, stories, memories, am I missing anything here? Out of all the siblings I think I'm the one most like my mom-the one thing that puts me over the top is the sewing-nobody else does it! But Mom and I have sewn things together that will NEVER go into the donation pile or trash-doesn't matter if I'm not using them anymore! That time together means too much to me. And Mom always made the things in our home beautiful-I don't mean that she spent all the money in the world. I mean that she has an eye for things that pull a room together so you feel like you're "home." Ann-Marie totally has that gift too. I'm not saying I'm good at it, but I LOVE to think of things to do that will brighten and liven up a room or the space around me (the bulletin boards in Primary are getting a facelift!).

So, there are just a few tidbits about my parents. I love them, respect them, honor them, and wish I was closer to them! A huge shout out to them-Mom started back at BYU this last semester and Dad will be joining her this upcoming semester. They are doing things to better their lives, even though that's a scary step!

I LOVE YOU MOM & DAD!

1 comment:

AnnCP said...

Ahhhh! You made my day. I love you too.