Whoops-forgot yesterday. But I knew what I was thankful for! It's actually been on my mind for a little while, and I had another experience yesterday that reminded me. I'm thankful for the awesome preschool teachers at Emma's preschool-and I don't mean just her teachers. I carpool with our friends, so I pick up their son from his class. Emma's preschool incorporates special needs kids into all their classrooms, and some classes have more kids than others. Emma's has a few, but none that I can see with physical disabilities. Sam's class has more with physical disabilities. And it has been an awesome experience to watch all these teachers with those kids. Not only are they wonderful towards kids without disabilities, but they are sooooo great with the others.
Before I had my own kids there was a special place in my heart for those with special needs. We had 3 in our ward growing up that we loved with all our hearts! I learned great lessons from them. But it wasn't until I had kids of my own that my heart REALLY felt a pull towards children with disabilities. I can't imagine the stress and strain parents must feel as they learn to take care of children who are handicapped, but I also don't get the chance to feel the joy they must feel as those children teach them life's lessons. Those are definitely special parents and special children.
And so, as I pick up the kids from school, I LOVE to watch the teachers and caregivers with these children, and some of those kids are SO FUNNY! And yesterday I watched a dad push his daughter in her wheelchair to their car, with a little 2 yr old in tow. And I loved the tenderness that could see that he felt towards those 2 kids. There's nothing more likely to put me to tears than SEEING and WATCHING the love that parents and teachers feel towards children. It really makes me have more faith in humanity when I see others showing such love!
Saturday, December 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment